Walking on Campus
- Think ahead and plan your journey, avoiding unpopulated areas.
- Try to avoid walking alone at night, and keep to well-lit main roads where possible. You should try to avoid short cuts like alleyways.
- Stay alert: Be aware of what's going on around you.
- It is always worth letting someone know where you are going, the route you intend to take and when you expect to return.
- Consider investing in a mobile phone. There are various services available for light users.
- Try to avoid wearing headphones, your ability to hear traffic, strangers and potential trouble can be restricted.
- Report parking lot lights that are out to Facilities Management or the Police Department.
- Report suspicious person(s) or activity to University Police immediately via telephone (472-2222) or Emergency Blue Pole.
Safety in Buildings
- Being aware of your surroundings and the possibility of danger is your best defense. Be Alert, and stay aware (but don't become paranoid)
- Always know where the TWO nearest exits are in any building you visit.
- If you become aware of danger (fire, violence etc.) :
- Move to the nearest exit that takes you away from the danger
- Be aware of the risk from a panicked crowd; all trying to escape through a single exit.
- Don't forget about using fire exits, delivery areas, and "employee only" exits to escape the danger.
- If you can't get out of the building your next best option is to go to a safe area or, in the case of violence and you can't get out of the building, lock yourself in away from the danger.
- Call 911