Theft from Building
Theft is a crime of opportunity. Help University Police by taking that opportunity away.
Here are some helpful tips that you may employ to help curb theft.
- Report suspicious person(s) to UNL Police immediately at 402-472-2222
- Lock your items in your desk
- Secure your doors when you leave
- Look out for other floor memebers if a suspicious person is around their office or room
If the item in your room or office has value to you then it has value to the criminals. Protecting your belongings starts with taking responsibility for them. Securing them in a location so that they will be protected when you leave you room or office. This includes locking them in a desk and then locking your door as you exit.
Most thefts reported to University Police have similar elements which led to the criminal act. The greatest reoccuring element was that of an unattended room. The victim would report they only left the room for a minute with the door left open to walk down the hall. When they returned their wallet or purse or laptop computer or keys were missing.
Operation P.A.T. (Protecting Automobiles from Theft)
Making an extra point with University Police through awareness and common car sense:
- Close windows and sunroof, lock the doors and activate any security devices when leaveing your car unattended.
- Park with care, particularly at night or if you are leaving for a long time. If possible, park in a busy, well-lit area.
- Check on your vehicle daily and check possible hit and run damage.
- Leave cash, credit acrds, check books, mobile phones, vehicle documents or other valuables in the car.
- (if you have no choice make sure they are hidden well out of sight)
- Store weapons in your vehicle. Contact UNL Police to set up a free storage unit for your weapons. (472-2222)
Keys - Keep them Safe
- Never leave them in the car, even for a second. Treat them as you would your credit cards.
- Make sure they are kept in a secure place in your office or residence hall.
Check it out
- REPORT SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY IMMEDIATELY to UNL POLICE at 911 or 472-2222.
Theft of Bike
Theft is a crime of opportunity. Help University Police by taking that opportunity away. Here are some helpful tips that you may employ to help curb theft.
- Report suspicious person(s) to UNL Police immediately at 472-2222
- Lock your bike with a high quality lock
- Wrap the lock through your spokes and frame of the bike
- Check on your bike daily to ensure that it is still secure on the bike rack