IN THE EVENT OF A TORNADO WARNING:
- Lincoln/Lancaster County Emergency Management will activate emergency sirens upon confirmation of a tornado. The duration of sirens is 3 minutes. All University personnel are directed to seek shelter upon activation of the sirens. It is not safe to leave the shelter until local radio and television stations announce that the warning has expired.
- Where available, the University may provide supplemental notification of Lincoln/Lancaster County Emergency Management tornado warnings through one of the following methods:
- Amplified voice announcements over the public address system.
- Multicast to radio user groups
- UNL Alert
- A pager held by the Building Maintenance Reporter.
- Other approved devices
- Move quickly to the tornado shelters listed on posters in university buildings.
- Do not use elevators.
- Stay away from windows.
- If a tornado strikes, help avoid telephone overloads. Do not use telephones (including cell phones) except for emergency.
- Seek indoor shelter if possible.
- Parked motor vehicles are unsafe. Seek indoor shelter.
- If an indoor shelter is not available and there is not time for escape, lie flat in a ditch or low spot.
- If you are on flat ground and are caught in the path of a tornado, always move at right angles to its path.
Visit the UNL Tornado Warning Policy at: